Re: drivers/serial/Makefile

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 11:15:51 EST

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:52:50PM +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> The serial driver is now compiled as "8250", rather than
> the traditional "serial" (Kconfig says "serial" as well).
> Assuming this was a mistake in the Makefile, I went and
> had a look, but my brain exploded.

It isn't a mistake. "serial" is meaningless with you've got multiple
serial ports of different types. It's a general name of a class of
devices, not a specific device.

> What exactly is this intended to do?

Well, core.c is the core driver which knows how to talk to user space,
and on to that bolts the hardware specific bits, 8250.c, sa1100.c,
suncore.c etc.

> PS: 8250_gsc, 8250_pci can be compiled as modules in their
> own right.

In theory they can, and maybe one day we'll teach the Kconfig system
to allow it. Feel free to send a patch for this. 8)

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux