Re: Ptrace hole / Linux 2.2.25

From: James Bourne (jbourne@hardrock.org)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 19:20:21 EST

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Sven Schuster wrote:

> Jörn Engel wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 23 March 2003 14:38:10 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> >

> >>- Anyone can go and release their own 2.4.20.1 or 2.4.20-sec or
> >> whatever if they feel strongly about it
> >>
> >>Just go do it. If someone wants to be a contact point for build existing
> >>base kernels + published security fix trees I'm pretty sure kernel.org
> >>would host them too.
> >>

> >Sounds like a good idea. Ideal would be a person with a lottle
> >knowledge about security or at least, about this particular patch.
> >
> >I would volunteer, if noone else does. But just about anyone would be
> >closer to that ideal person, so consider me to be the last resort.
> >
> >Jörn
> >

> I think a solution like this would be best, having a "-fix" tree or
> similar for
> the latest stable kernel maintained by a volunteer and hosted by kernel.org.
>
> Optionally or alternatively there could/should be a mailinglist (yes, one
> more :-) where all critical fixes like sec + fs fixes, etc. are posted to,
> for people building their own kernels (and interested in staying
> up-to-date) but not willing/having the time/able to dig through the tons
> of emails brought by lkml. Cause I think if you're not an active kernel
> developer or having some issues with running a kernel, or like me, just
> interested and still learning to understand linux kernel programming in
> the far future ;-) you shouldn't have to read lkml just for building and
> maintaining your own, none-vendor kernel. Btw, if you had to, I think
> there might even be the danger of loosing some critical fixes in the loads
> of emails.

Hi,
In an earlier email I posted a URL to an updates directory containing
strictly updates for the current 2.4 kernel tree. The URL is
http://www.hardrock.org/kernel/current-updates/

Currently there is the ext3 patch, tg3 patch and ptrace patch. Also is one
single patch with all three patches include.

Regards
James Bourne

--
James Bourne                  | Email:            jbourne@hardrock.org