Re: PATCH: Make pci-bios function ids per machine type

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 21:04:11 EST

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 21:00, Brian Gerst wrote:
> Wouldn't this be better?
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_PC9800
> #define PCIBIOS_PCI_FUNCTION_ID 0xcc80
> #else
> #define PCIBIOS_PCI_FUNCTION_ID 0xb100
> #endif
>
> #define PCIBIOS_PCI_BIOS_PRESENT PCIBIOS_PCI_FUNCTION_ID+1
> #define PCIBIOS_FIND_PCI_DEVICE PCIBIOS_PCI_FUNCTION_ID+2

We went for the less ifdef approach. We have mach-foo and it works very
well. If you look at the original you'll also see only some functions
exist on the 9800 so its also better because using an unsupported function
is a compile error not a crash.

We may also yet find other pci bios stuff is weird 8)