Re: CPU misdetection and, (probably unrelated) IDE data corruption

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 14:58:54 EST

> > * Misdetection of an Athlon 1700XP as a Duron
> > model name : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
>
> This string is set by the BIOS at power-on time.
> If it really is an Athlon, your BIOS is horked.
> Try upgrading it.

The story behind this machine is that I was building it as cheaply as
possible for my parents, (just to browse the web, and write E-Mail).

I never use pre-assembled hardware, prefering to build my boxes from
scratch, but I broke that rule to save money, and recommended that
they bought a pre-assembled case, motherboard, ram and cpu.

To cut a long story short, the board was jumpered for 100 instead of
133, and when re-jumpered at 133, it crashes during init.

It's being returned tomorrow, and from now on, I build systems from
scratch. Always.

> Out of curiosity, what does x86info[1] make of it ?

x86info v1.12. Dave Jones 2001-2003
Feedback to <davej@suse.de>.

Found 1 CPU