Re: [patch] sched-2.5.64-D3, more interactivity changes

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana (felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 06:30:33 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org>
Date: 18 Mar 2003 23:13:01 -0800
To: Andrew Morton <akpm@digeo.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] sched-2.5.64-D3, more interactivity changes

> I'm still getting starvation problems. If I run xmms with the "Goom"
> visualizer (with the window large enough that it is CPU-bound), then
> type a command into a shell window (say, ps), it will not run the
> command until I close or shrink the goom window. xmms itself plays
> fine, though sometimes it fails to go to the next track, apparently for
> the same reason (ie, it starts the next track when I disable the
> visualizer).

Well, I'm also experiencing starvation problems with CPU-bound
loads. For example, I'm converting all my music collection from
MP3 to OGG, and when using "oggenc" to convert from WAV to
OGG, the system becomes pretty unresponsive: running commands
on a terminal (for example a "ps axf") takes forever, unless you
stop (Ctrl+S) the "oggenc" process.

To avoid this, I had to lower "oggenc" priority using renice. Using
renice <PID> +20 helped with starvation :-)

Thanks!

   Felipe

http://www.linuxmail.org/