Re: [patch] 2.4.21-pre5 kksymoops for i386/ia64

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 18:41:46 EST

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:33:07 +0100,
Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:
>Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au> writes:
>
>> Automatic decoding of oops on 2.5 has been very useful, so this patch
>> adds kksymoops support to 2.4.21-pre5. Currently only for i386 and
>> ia64, other architectures are easy to add.
>
>This 2.4 kallsyms patch doesn't work for cross compilation because
>the modutils are terminally broken in this regard.
>
>Rather than using this patch I would rather backport the 2.5 code
>which works fine even for cross and compresses the symbol tables too.

The 2.5 kallsyms does not have section data which is required for kdb
(and probably kgdb). That data used to be there until Rusty deleted
it, the lack of section data is one of the reasons that I no longer do
kdb for 2.5. If you want to kill kdb for 2.4 kernels as well, go ahead
and backport the incomplete 2.5 code.