Re: [ACPI] Re: S4bios support for 2.5.63

From: Nigel Cunningham (ncunningham@clear.net.nz)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 19:36:41 EST

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 12:39, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:06:50 +1300, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > You were hitting the BUG_ON before swsusp was even trying to write the
> > image?!! That is interesting! Since count_and_copy is first called post
> > driver suspend in the current version, perhaps they are somehow related.
> > (This is before swsusp tries to write any of the image to disk).
>
> Huh? After a glance at the code I agree that drivers_suspend happens before
> count_and_copy_data_pages, but that means hitting the BUG_ON in
> idedisk_suspend before the panic in count_and_copy_data_pages is what I'd
> expect. How is that remarkable? ... My current kernel has HIGHMEM enabled,
> but previous ones that failed the same way didn't.

I was surprised because I thought you were getting the BUG_ON during
writing the image. Now I see that it's well beforehand.

> Anyway, a few more tests showed that hdparm -u1 helps if I have lots of
> memory used (say for fs caches). In two out of two tests, I saw Pavel's
> request to send him 1 GB RAM via email.

On this topic, would you be willing to test a 2.4 version that supported
highmem? I haven't written support yet, but hope to do it shortly. (I
don't have that much ram myself so you can send me 1GB if you prefer
:>).

> Suspending directly from a clean boot (after issuing the same hdparm -u1
> commands for both disks) I hit the BUG_ON in idedisk_suspend (two out of
> two tests, too).

Hmmm.. strange.

Regards,

Nigel