re: Linux 2.4.21pre4-ac5 status report

From: Soeren Sonnenburg (kernel@nn7.de)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 15:56:53 EST

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 20:57, Tomas Szepe wrote:
> > [edk@cendatsys.com]

> > I tried two pdc20268's which failed miserably
> >
> > Used an Asus motherboard and an FIC motherboard, different cables,
> > different cards, different powersupply.Hard drives are 200GB western
> > digitals, one drive per channel.
> >
> > Tried an SIIG card with the SiI680 chipset -- same problem using is and
> > the pdc20268, but is more stable than a single pdc -- so now I have 4
> > drives on that card.
> >
> > My kernel is 2.4.21-pre4-ac6 -- let me know if the pre5's solve the problem.
>
> I'd be quite interested to know whether the FreeBSD IDE driver can handle
> these setups properly.

Me too... I would not think so, but who know.

However at least the freeze was reproducable here. Just take two
pdc20268 controller, attach one driver per channel, setup a raid5, let
it build up the raid. Then start bonnie and you will get a freeze within
15min when using something higher than mdma0.

The system now is really rock stable with these htp370 based
dawicontrol-100 cards (which are in the same slots as the pdcs were).

Soeren.