Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed BitKeeper clone

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 11:11:44 EST

He's not allowed to say "BitBucket is a GPL-ed clone of BitKeeper"
because that implies that BitBucket does what BitKeeper does and nothing
could be farther from the truth.

How about we not turn this into a debate? I politely requested that
people not confuse the world into thinking Product A is the same as
Product B, that's all I requested, it's a reasonable request, we don't
need to debate it. If you feel the need to do so, go for it, but do so
knowing that my silence in no way means that I agree or disagree with you.

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:02:22AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 07:28:20AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > BitKeeper is a trademark, please don't use the BitKeeper name when
> > describing BitBucket. Thanks.
>
> I think he's allowed to use the name so long as he only uses it to
> describe what the purpose of the tool is and recognizes in the same
> document who the holder of the trademark is. Just the same as someone
> can write an article about Windows and Microsoft, or a software product
> can claim that it runs under Windows or MacOS.
>

> He's allowed to say "This tool allows you to access a BitKeeper
> repository".
>

> --
> Debian - http://www.debian.org/
> Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/