Re: anticipatory scheduling questions

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana (felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 07:18:06 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Morton <akpm@digeo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:26:04 -0800
To: "Felipe Alfaro Solana" <felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org>
Subject: Re: anticipatory scheduling questions

> "Felipe Alfaro Solana" <felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> > Indeed, this can be tested interactively with an application like Evolution:
> > I have configured Evolution to use 2 dictionaries (English and Spanish) for
> > spell checking in e-mail messages. When running 2.4.20, if I choose to reply
> > to a large message, it only takes a few seconds to read both dictionaries
> > from disk and perform the spell checking.
> > However, on 2.5.63-mm1 the same process takes considerably longer. Any
> > reason for this?
>
> Could you boot with elevator-deadline and retest?

I have done benchmark tests with Evolution under the following conditions: (times measured since the reply
button is clicked until the message is opened)

2.4.20-2.54 -> 9s
2.5.63-mm1 w/Deadline -> 34s
2.5.63-mm1 w/AS -> 33s

The 2.4.20-2.54 is *not* a stock kernel, but Red Hat's own patched kernel (I think they include most of Alan Cox
patches). Times are measured manually (don't know how to "time" the time elapsed since I click a button and
the reply window is opened). Also, the filesystem is "ext2" running on a laptop (not a really fast hard disk).

> How large are the dictionary files?

Well, the aspell dictionary files are roughly 16MB for the Spanish dictionary and 4MB for the English one.

http://www.linuxmail.org/