Re: Is the GIO_FONT ioctl() busted in Linux kernel 2.4?

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 20:02:29 EST

Followup to: <3E5DE0FC.29370.6FD7FC8B@localhost>
By author: "Kendall Bennett" <KendallB@scitechsoft.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> "Kendall Bennett" <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > From looking at the 2.4 kernel source code that comes with Red
> > Hat 8.0, it is clear that these functions are implemented on top
> > of a new console font interface that supports 512 characters and
> > up to 32x32 pixel fonts (obviously for fb consoles).
>
> Yep, after further investigation the problem is that the VGA console is
> configured to run with 512 characters, yet the 'old' interface code is
> trying to save/restore only 256 characters so it fails. It could be fixed
> if it was changed to save/restore 512 characters, but I don't know if
> that will break old code (it won't break mine as I always uses a 64K
> buffer to save/restore the font tables).

It will break old code. That's why you've been supposed to use
GIO_FONTX (and GIO_UNISCRNMAP) since the 1.3.1 kernel days (which is
when 512-character support was introduced.)

You're *way* behind the times.

man 4 console_ioctl

        -hpa

Architectures needed: cris ia64 m68k mips64 ppc ppc64 s390 s390x sh v850 x86-64