Re: Oops running oprofile in 2.5.62

From: John Levon (levon@movementarian.org)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 12:37:04 EST

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:29:43PM -0800, Dave Hansen wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it happened on this line in oprofile_add_sample():
> cpu_buf->buffer[cpu_buf->pos].eip = eip;
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address f8c3c000

Odd. UP or SMP ? Were you shutting down oprofile at the time (or did the
daemon crash ? check /var/lib/oprofile/oprofiled.log)

The only thing I can think is that the buffer got freed then we got an
NMI afterwards (which obviously isn't supposed to happen...)

UP oprofile in current linus is still totally broken, but I can't
imagine it causing the above.

regards
john