Re: filesystem access slowing system to a crawl

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 03:51:35 EST

On Thursday 27 February 2003 00:17, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:

Hi again,

> Hi Marcelo,
> apply this, please!
Patch is by Andrea. I will send this every day once until I see the merge in
-BK or a mail from you here on LKML why you don't take it!

P.S.: I see some bogus patches in -BK (now -pre5) which got merged. This patch
      exists since ages (inode-highmem-2), survived tons of testing and it is
      a must!

I can only _repeat_ Andrea (I agree 100% with his statement):

this is a pre kernel, it's meant to *test* stuff, if anything will go
wrong we're here ready to fix it immediatly. Sure, applying the patch of
the last minute to an -rc just before releasing the new official kernel
w/o any kind of testing was a bad idea, but we must not be too much
conservative either, especially like in these cases where we are fixing
bugs, I mean we can't delay bugfixes with the argument that they could
introduce new bugs, otherwise we can as well stop fixing bugs.

Also note that this stuff is being tested aggressively for a very long
time by lots of people, it's not a last minute patch like the xdr
highmem deadlock ;).

regards!