Re: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik@kubla.de)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 02:08:18 EST

On Thursday 27 February 2003 07:40, Kasper Dupont wrote:
> Miles Bader wrote:
> > Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:

> > > My suggestion would be to change it from /etc/mtab to /mtab.d/mtab.
> >
> > Please, no. don't pollute the root (_especially_ with little one-use
> > directories like that).
>
> Unfortunately it is the best solution I can come up with.
>
> > /var is clearly the right place for this;
>
> Is it?

I would recommend to replace /etc/mtab with a pseudo-FS like Sun did
for /etc/mnttab:

# uname -rs
SunOS 5.8
# mount -p
mnttab - /etc/mnttab mntfs - no dev=39c0000

Regards,
   Dominik

--
"What this  country needs is  a short, victorious war  to stem the  tide of
revolution." (V.K. von Plehve, Russian Minister  of Interior on the  eve of