2.4.19 corrupt file system, 2.4.20 Makefile problem

From: Mike Hayward (hayward@loup.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 00:13:38 EST

I've been running 2.4.19 for quite awhile, but today it locked up, had
to be hard rebooted, and trashed my ext3 file system. Something about
a seemingly infinite number of Duplicate/Bad Blocks from fsck even
though the hard drive is fine. I assumed with the journal the file
system would be rock solid, but ... I'm hoping 2.4.20 proves more
stable; has anyone else seen 2.4.19 trash the hard drive?

2.4.20 doesn't build on my RH7.2 box which uses gcc 2.96 due to a mod
to the Makefile which I just undid and subsequently compiled just
fine. Without said line, stdarg.h (which isn't part of the linux
kernel includes) is not found since -nostdinc probably removes *all*
include directories not explicitly specified, including:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/include

---New make line---
kbuild_2_4_nostdinc := -nostdinc -iwithprefix include

---Old make line---
kbuild_2_4_nostdinc := -nostdinc $(shell $(CC) -print-search-dirs
| sed -ne 's/install: \(.*\)/-I \1include/gp')

If stdarg.h doesn't belong in the kernel distribution, perhaps the
configure or make process could do some checking to make sure the
appropriate include directory for stdarg.h is included in that
variable?

- Mike