Re: usb-storage fails to detect all luns after 2.4.19

From: Oliver Graf (ograf@rz-online.net)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 03:21:49 EST

Hi!

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:30:37PM +0100, Oliver Graf wrote:
> The problem: a multi device usb card reader is correctly detected with
> its four subdevices with kernel 2.4.19(-acX). But any patch after this
> fails to detect the subdevices.
>
> Verbose output with 2.4.19-ac4 shows:
> usb-storage: GetMaxLUN command result is 1, data is 3
>
> 2.4.21-pre4 gives:
> usb-storage: GetMaxLUN command result is -32, data is 128
> usb-storage: clearing endpoint halt for pipe 0x80000880
>
> I tried to find the parts that changed between the version, but it seems
> not to be rooted in usb-storage.
>
> The call to usb_control_msg seems to timeout with the newer kernel
> (just a wild guess!).

It is a timeout:
usb-storage: New GUID 04831307fffe9ffffffffe97
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1765
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb-storage: GetMaxLUN command result is -110, data is 128

> Finally I did a desparate modification: I return 3 from
> usb_stor_Bulk_max_lun just before the endpoint is cleared. This got my
> card reader up and running again, but it's very very dirty und certainly
> breaks other usb storage devices (I don't own).

A patch which defines a new unusual_dev is appended. But it's still
dirty, cause it sets max_lun to 3 for this device. It should be seen as
a workaround not as something that should go into the kernel.

If someone more elaborate needs more debug output to find the real
problem, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
  Oliver.