Kernel incompatibility with the SiS 651/962L architecture

From: Takuya Saitoh (taka0038@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 20:26:35 EST

Hi,
I am having this terrible problem of nonfunctional PCI devices with kernels
>= 2.4.19 and the SiS 651 chipset based system (motherboard Gigabyte P4
Titan GA-8SIMLH). For example all NIC (onboard or PCI slot) cards are
recognized and configured just fine but timeout on transmit. Another
example is a PCI SCSI card which reports errors of the sort "...
aic7xxx_abort returns 0x2002 ... device set offline ... command retry failed
after bus reset ..." upon module loading. Is someone aware of this problem
and is there a patch ? So far I have confirmed the same problem with
kernels 2.4.19-16mdk and 2.4.18-14 (yes, Mandrake 9.0 and RedHat 8.0 are
incompatible with this architecture) as well as 2.4.20-pre10-ac2. This
problem doesn't occur with kernels from older distributions such as RedHat
7.3 (2.4.18-3) or 7.2. There were some changes in the SiS architecture
around 2.4.18/19 (
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102804753309548&w=2 ) so may
that be the reason ? There are also other reports of this problem, e.g.

From: rmkenn (rmkenn@email.de)
Subject: Suse 8.0 and GA-8SIMLH
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 2002-12-06 09:13:03 PST

Hello,

I just got a new box, a Maxdata with P4. The mainboord is
a GA-8SIMLH with SiS 651 chipset.

My problem ist, that I can't bring my network cards to work.
The installation works fine, no error messages at boot-time,
but I can't get a 'ping' through. The cards have worked in an
elder box with SuSe 8.0. Could this be a issue with the motherboard?
I did not find it in SuSe's compatibilty database.

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Rudolf.