Re: zImage now holds vmlinux, System.map and config in sections. (fwd)

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 12:52:04 EST

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:38:11AM -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> I'm just guessing that it will be difficult to convince you otherwise,
> but I think you are missing the point of this. It's not for someone
> who already has scripts to handle this or already uses 3+ commands
> to handle it every time that they build a new kernel. It's for
> people who are less organized than you are -- gosh, maybe even
> for Linux users.

Well, rather than creating yet another archive system, maybe we should
just tar the lot up and make all boot loaders aware of the tar format?
After all, everyone understands tar and .debs better than RPMs, don't
they?

8-)

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux