Re: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 01:52:04 EST

> > Dig through the mail logs and you'll see that I was completely against the
> > preemption patch. I think it is a bad idea, if you want real time, use
> > rt/linux, it solves the problem right.
>
> So your saying I need to switch to rt/linux to run games or an mp3 player?

It depends on the quality you want. If you want it to work without
exception, yeah, I guess that is what I'm saying. People seem to be
willing to put up with sloppy playback on a computer that they would
freak out over if it happened on their TV. rt/linux will make your
el cheapo laptop actually deliver what you need.

I think there has been a fair amount of discussion of this sort of stuff
in the games world. Some game company got taken to task recently because
even 2Ghz machines couldn't run their game properly. Makes me wonder if
a real time system is what they need.

--
---