Re: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 09:34:40 EST

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 12:38:33AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 21:05, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Let's see, Dell has a $66B market cap, revenues of $8B/quarter and
> > $500M/quarter in profit.
>
> While I understand these numbers are on the mark, there is a tertiary
> issue to realize.
>
> Dell makes money on many things other than thin-margin PCs. And lo'
> and behold one of those things is selling the larger Intel based
> servers and support contracts to go along with that.

I did some digging trying to find that ratio before I posted last night
and couldn't. You obviously think that the servers are a significant
part of their business. I'd be surprised at that, but that's cool,
what are the numbers? PC's, monitors, disks, laptops, anything with less
than 4 cpus is in the little bucket, so how much revenue does Dell generate
on the 4 CPU and larger servers?

--
---