2.4 series IDE troubles

From: j (home@pimout2-ext.prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 08:01:20 EST

Hello,

IM not sure this is the way to go about this (obviously) but doing
searchs at google for the error message I get just leads to the painful realization that there are many questions out there but
few answers. Anyhoo when I try adding a compact flash card as an
IDE drive to a system running under 2.4 I get kernel panics:

   VFS: Cannot open root device "307" or 03:07
   Please append a corect "root=" boot option
   Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root

Just on a lark I decided to go back to a 2.2 series kernel (since
I had gotten flash recognized b4 when using a Mandrake distro)
 Eureka! working flash drive that is seen and formatable with no
troubles. PLEASE have the developers take a closer look at the IDE
drivers for 2.4 as it seems they cause a great deal of grief, at
least from what I see in searchs on these errors. Usually the problem
is blamed on the user and they are asked hundreds of irritating questions about hardware and configuration.

Regards,

John Sims