Re: Longstanding networking / SMP issue? (duplextest)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 04:43:16 EST

   From: Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de>
   Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:27:19 +0100

   For icmp_xmit_lock it can be only done in a limited fashion - you are
   always restricted by the buffer size of the ICMP socket. Also I don't
   know how to lock the socket from BH context nicely - the only simple way
   probably is the trick from the retransmit timer to just try again
   in a jiffie, but could have nasty queueing up under high load.

   Fixing the error drop behaviour of TCP will be somewhat nasty too.

   In both cases you'll need a retry timer (unreliable) or an dedicated ICMP
   backlog (complicated)

The big problem is that we have one ICMP socket for UP and only
one for SMP too. That's just dumb, we should make this be a
per-cpu thing.

I suspect this will fix the original bug report.

I don't think the TCP case is much of an issue. TCP retries things
etc.