Re: IO scheduler benchmarking

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 01:51:37 EST

one other useful test would be the time to copy a large (multi-gig) file.
currently this takes forever and uses very little fo the disk bandwidth, I
suspect that the AS would give more preference to reads and therefor would
go faster.

for a real-world example, mozilla downloads files to a temp directory and
then copies it to the premanent location. When I download a video from my
tivo it takes ~20 min to download a 1G video, during which time the system
is perfectly responsive, then after the download completes when mozilla
copies it to the real destination (on a seperate disk so it is a copy, not
just a move) the system becomes completely unresponsive to anything
requireing disk IO for several min.

David Lang