Re: doublefault debugging (was Re: Linux v2.5.62 --- spontaneous reboots)

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 16:21:45 EST

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 16:54, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, the 4kB stack definitely won't work in real life, but that's because
> we have some hopelessly bad stack users in the kernel. But the debugging
> part would be good to try (in fact, it might be a good idea to keep the
> 8kB stack, but with rather anal debugging. Just the "mcount" part should
> do that).

You also need IRQ stacks to get down to 4K. The wrong pattern of ten
different IRQ handlers using a mere 200 bytes each will eventually
happen and eventually kill you otherwise.

> That ide_unregister() thing uses up >2kB in just one call! And there are
> several in the 1.5kB range too, with a long list of ~500 byte offenders.

ide_unregister is a really stupid one. Its copying a struct mostly to
restore fields it shouldnt be restoring but should be setting in the
allocator. I hadn't realised quite how bad it was. Added to the ide
shitlist