Re: [patch] procfs/procps threading performance speedup, 2.5.62

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 12:06:03 EST

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> the main problem with threads in /proc is that there's a big slowdown when
> using lots of threads.

Well, part of the problem (I think) is that you added all the threads to
the same main directory.

Putting a "." in front of the name doesn't fix the /proc level directory
scalability issues, it only means that you can avoid some of the user-
level scalability ones.

So to offset that bad design, you then add other cruft, like the lookup
cursor and the "." marker. Which is not a bad idea in itself, but I claim
that if you'd made the directory structure saner you wouldn't have needed
it in the first place.

It would just be _so_ much nicer if the threads would show up as
subdirectories ie /proc/<tgid>/<tid>/xxx. More scalable, more readable,
and just generally more sane.

                Linus