Re: "Unknown HZ value! (0) Assume 100." Wraparound bug?

From: Albert Cahalan (albert@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 12:05:52 EST

Matt Bernstein writes:

> Two of our machines (one running 2.4.18-xfs-ipsec, one
> running 2.4.19-pre10-ac2) started spitting this message
> before some commands (might be in Debian procps 2.0.7-8)
> after an uptime of about 248 days (certainly in the latter
> case, probably the same in the former).
>
> This smells a bit as about 248 is about half of about 497,
> which was a trigger (which I managed to hit :) in the
> mid 2.1.x series for the uptime counter to wrap.

Yep. Debian-unstable has procps-3.1.5 now, which won't emit
this message with 2.4.xx and 2.5.xx kernels. Your system is
still inconsistant though, so rebooting would be a good idea.
(processes may appear to have been started in the future and
run for negative time)

The recent 2.5.xx kernels should be able to handle huge
uptimes better; you'll need the procps-3.1.6 release for
the most recent 2.5.xx kernels though.

http://procps.sf.net/