Re: [RFC] Is an alternative module interface needed/possible?

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 09:12:15 EST

(I think we should limit the Cc:s to Roman, Rusty, the list, and me,
and leave the others in peace. Please yell if you really want that
extra copy :-)

Roman Zippel wrote:
> Basically I can agree with this, although I'd like to avoid that we
> iterate too much over these steps, as it would too easily divert the
> discussion to other things, so I'd rather take smaller steps and keep the
> scope a bit broader.

Good :-) I want to avoid modules as much as possible, because
they've extensively been tackled in the past (which didn't help
much making the interfaces better), and also because they're
just a bit too political an issue.

Okay, this brings us to the issue of broken interfaces. Do we
have agreement that there are cases where interfaces like
remove_proc_entry, in their current state, cannot be used
correctly ?

Example:

static ...callback...(... struct file *file ...)
{
        void *user = PDE(file->f_dentry->d_inode)->data;

        do something with "*user"
}

        struct proc_dir_entry *de = create_proc_entry(...);
        void *my_data;

        de->data = my_data = kmalloc(...);
        remove_proc_entry(...);
        /* what happens with "my_data", formerly known as "de->data" ? */

a) kfree it. May cause an oops or other problems if we're in the
   middle of the callback.

b) don't kfree it. So we now have a (hopefully small) memory leak.
   Problem: my_data may point to a lot more than just some tiny
   allocation.

Okay so far ?

(Possible solutions on the next, slid^H^H^H^Hposting :-)

- Werner