Re: Help !! calling function in module from a user program

From: Alex Bennee (kernel-hacker@bennee.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 08:00:51 EST

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 12:50, Sudharsan Vijayaraghavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am a new bee to linux internals.
> I am trying to make a simple program witch will call a function from a
> module. I made a module compiled it and INSMOD-it into kernel, that works
> fine. I would like to call from my user program a function defined in my
> kernel module.

You never call functions directly from user-mode. You generally use a
syscall to interface between user-mode and kernel-mode. Most drivers
implement operations that map via these syscalls (i.e.
open/close/read/write etc).

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/

How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to Dayton? -- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey