Re: [RFC] Migrating net/sched to new module interface

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@rustcorp.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 18:31:33 EST

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0302171112390.1336-100000@serv> you write:
> Maybe you could share a bit of your wisdom?
> 1. Doing the linking in userspace requires two steps, but I still don't
> know what's so bad about it.
> 2. This still doesn't explain, why everything has to be moved into kernel,
> why can't we move more into userspace?
> 3. You simply moved part of the query syscall functionality to
> /proc/modules (which btw is still not enough to fix ksymoops).

I think you'd do far better to implement it yourself for half a dozen
architectures. It's not my job to teach you things which can be
gained by reading the code and thinking a little.

We're going in a circle again.

> > The second change was the speed up one system of module locking in the
> > kernel which wasn't racy, and deprecate the other system which was
> > racy in 99% of its uses. That is all.
>
> Well, I'm not against optimizing the module locking (*), as we won't get
> rid of it in the near feature, but it still has problems.
>
> 1. It's adding complexity (however you implement it), I explained it in
> detail and you still haven't told me, where I'm wrong.

No, it's exactly the same as before. You can't see that, and I've
given up explaining it.

> 2. The module interface is incompatible with other kernel interfaces, I
> tried to explain that in the mail from saturday, if you think I'm wrong,
> your input is very welcome, but _please_ answer to that mail.

This problem is in your mind Roman.

Deal with it.

> > Did it solve all the races in the kernel? Of course not. But it's
> > simple to use, already well understood in the kernel, and avoids
> > massive changes. It also allows connection tracking to be properly
> > modularized, which was my long-lost original purpose.
>
> It's too much fun to quote Al here:

Quoting Al's rant isn't an argument. It wasn't very coherent when he
wrote it, and it doesn't gain with repetition.

The code exists. It's simple to use.

I give up. You're killfiled again 8(
Rusty.