Re: [BUG][2.5.60/61] - Making modules problem

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 15:01:53 EST

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Shawn Starr wrote:

> Not a bug but I think an annoyance because sometimes I just want to recompile
> just the modules using the same kernel version and not have to build the
> whole thing just to get modules.

You have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y. Say your module is using printk(). So your
module needs to know the checksum for printk(). This checksum is generated
during the build of kernel/printk.c and then propagated into vmlinux,
which is where the module build gets it from.

That's why you need printk.o / vmlinux to build the module. If you
don't want these checks, turn of CONFIG_MODVERSIONS and it's back to what
it used to be.

--Kai