Re: ext3 clings to you like flypaper

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 11:48:55 EST

>> Added a journal to my root disk.
>> Mounted it ext3.
>> Found it scaled like crap
>> set my fstab back to ext2
>> /dev/sda2 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
>> reboot.
>> Disk says it's mounted ext2 ("mount\n")
>> Still performs like crap.
>>
>> Mmmmm ... it STILL mounts ext3.
>> Allegedly this is a "feature".
>> Can we please remove this stupidity?
>>
> If I say I want ext2, I want ext2 ....

Got several replies saying more or less the same thing ...

> Do you expect the kernel to read your /etc/fstab before mounting the
> root file system, and then obey it?

No, but it remounts the disk read-write after it mounts it read-only.
It can switch from ext2 to ext3 at that point.

> Boot with 'rootfstype=ext2'

That works, but I don't see why I should have to specify additional
commandline options.

> and/or tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda2

Can't - it refuses to touch the disk it's standing on even in single user.
This makes it extremely difficult to revert.

And in answer to some other questions:

This machine can't boot off CD, so rescue disks are not an option.
It's remote anyway, and I shouldn't have to screw around with it to do this.
I'm not using initrd

The point remains, if I say I want ext2, I should get ext2, not whatever
some random developer decides he thinks I should have. Worst of all,
the system then lies to you and says it's mounted ext2 when it's not.

M.