Re: Alsa kernel questionS

From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai@suse.de)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 06:40:46 EST

At 16 Feb 2003 17:24:23 +0100,
Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Now it seems the alsa driver that's in 2.5 with mute the optical output
> until black magic is performed in any alsa-compatible mixer.
>
> Is there any boot option to tell alsa to activate the optical output
> automatically ?

no, not via a kernel boot option.

> The second question is, with the alsa tools present on freshrpms.net and
> optical output activated, the only mixer setting that seem to have an
> effect is the DAC.
>
> Is there a way to set this knob as the default sound volume (as a kernel
> boot option ...) ?

no, not via a kernel boot option.

please set up your init script or module.conf appropriately.
you can restore the configuration simply by calling
"alsactl restore".

> Why is the dac controlling the volume even when I'm reading a CD (i.e.
> digital PCM input, digital optical output, what is the DAC doing here) ?

it depends on the signal routing. apparently, cs46xx routes in such a
way.

--
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>		SuSE Linux AG - www.suse.de
ALSA Developer				ALSA Project - www.alsa-project.org