Re: Annoying /proc/net/dev rollovers.

From: Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@zmailer.org)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 05:35:53 EST

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:21:56PM -0800, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:46:05PM -0600, Mark J Roberts wrote:
> > When the windows box behind my NAT is using all of my 640kbit/sec
> > downstream to download movies, it takes a little over 14 hours to
> > download four gigabytes and roll over the byte counter.
>
> Therefore userspace needs to check the counters more often... say ever
> 30s or so and detect rollover. Most of this could be simply
> encapsulated in a library and made transparent to the upper layers.

  Some of my colleques complained once, that at full tilt
  the fiber-channel fabric overflowed its SNMP bitcounters
  every 2 seconds.

  "we need to do polling more rapidly, than the poller can do"

  The SNMP pollers do handle gracefully 32-bit unsigned overlow,
  they just need to get snapshots in increments a bit under 2G...
  (Hmm.. perhaps I remember that wrong, a bit under 4G should be ok.)

> --cw

/Matti Aarnio