Re: Linux 2.5 freezing after uncompressing linux

From: John Weber (weber@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 12:31:10 EST

Duncan Sands wrote:
> On Sunday 16 February 2003 03:54, John Weber wrote:
>
>>[1.] One line summary of the problem:
>>
>>[Linux 2.5] Freezing after Uncompressing Linux
>>
>>[2.] Full description of the problem/report:
>>
>>The kernel freezes immediately after "Uncompressing Linux... OK".
>>No further messages are displayed. I'm following wli's advice to
>>add some printk's to check whether the system is even getting to
>>startup_32(), but perhaps others have seen this problem.
>

> Did it really freeze? Can you see disk activity if you wait? You may
> simply not have turned on the console in your .config. For example,
> if you choose to compile the input subsystem as a module, then the
> console automagically gets deselected!
>
> Duncan.

I finally got around to applying early printk, and I found out that the
system does indeed get to startup_32(). As it turns out this was simply
related to a CONFIG problem. I built-in INPUT (instead of using it as a
module), and the virtual console CONFIG was then made available. (NOTE:
I didn't think to check the input subsystem config, because the last
time I mistakenly disabled input -- because I simply used "make
oldconfig" which didn't enable CONFIG_INPUT -- the only thing it
disabled was the keyboard and mouse). Why does CONFIG_INPUT affect the
console?