Re: acpi + keyboard/mouse problems [was Re: acpi + synaptics trackpad in 2.5]

From: Andrew Rodland (arodland@noln.com)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 10:57:30 EST

Joshua Kwan wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:33:02AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> > Whenever I run a ACPI battery monitor in X, my mouse goes completely
>> > insane - goes around everywhere, and clicks randomly. the second i
>> > close it, everything returns to normal.
>>
>> What machine?
>
> This is a Dell SmartStep 200N. I have no other working laptops using
> ACPI so I can't know for sure how big a problem this is :)

Alright...
I know that some Dells (although I can't say whether yours is one) do their
ACPI by calling back into Dell SMM calls -- which takes the processor away
from linux for a significant amount of time; enough to cause clock
slippage, and loss of mouse data. And I'm guessing an ACPI battery monitor
polls at a fairly short interval, so, it could be related.

Cheers
--hobbs