Re: possible partition corruption

From: Thomas Molina (tmolina@cox.net)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 16:33:19 EST

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Thomas Molina <tmolina@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Everything you describe is consistent with a kernel which does not have ext3
> > > compiled into it.
> > I'm aware of that.
>
> In that case you may be experiencing the mysterious vanishing
> ext3_read_super-doesn't-work bug. Usually a recompile/relink makes it go
> away. I haven't seen it in months.
>
> Could you please drop this additional debugging in there and see
> what happens?

I'll try it, but a question did occur to me. I got the hang while booting
a freshly-compiled 2.5.59, but the error message was received after
supposedly cleaning and recovering the journal. That was using the stock
RedHat 8.0 kernel, 2.4.18-24.8.0, which most certainly does have ext3
support. Would the bug you described affect a following boot into a
totally different kernel?