Re: gcc 2.95 vs 3.21 performance

From: Peter Chubb (peter@chubb.wattle.id.au)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 21:45:00 EST

>>>>> "Bryan" == Bryan Andersen <bryan@bogonomicon.net> writes:

Bryan> Personal opinion here but I know it is also held by many
Bryan> developers I know and work with. I'd rather have a compiler
Bryan> that produces correct and fast code but ran slow than one that
Bryan> produces slow or bad code and runs fast. Remember compilation
Bryan> is done far less often than run time execution. Yes I too
Bryan> noticed a difference when I switched over to 3.2 but I also
Bryan> noticed some of my code speed up.

A different personal opinion: I'd prefer a compiler than can be told
either to run fast and produce correct but suboptimal code or to
produce the fastest correct code it can.

While developing, the compile/test/think/edit cycle is dominated by compile
time for me. So fast compilation is important while developing
algorithms.

--
Dr Peter Chubb				    peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories, all almost the same.