2.4.19: Strange raid1 resync problem with raid1 on top of multipath raids

From: Rainer Krienke (krienke@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 07:55:42 EST

Hello,

I am running smp Kernel 2.4.19 (from SuSE: k_smp-2.4.19-210) on a machine that
is connected by a fibrechannel fabric to several hardware raid (5) devices.
There are two paths to each partition on the hardware raids. I want to have a
mirror on two of the hardware raid5 devices (I know this is very redundant).
Since each hardware raid can be reached along two different paths (across two
fc-switches) I would like to use a multipath config.

So I configured a raid1 device on top of two multipath raid devices like shown
below in a part of /etc/raidtab. Generally things work just fine. However
there is one big problem: The resync speed for the raid1 device is only about
1MByte/sec. Because of the size of the array (~900GBytes) resyncing would
take about 30Days! If I omit the multipath configuration and just specify a
simple raid1 across the two hardwareraid disks, resync speed is at about
60MBytes/sec which is normal.

Is this a known problem? Is there a patch to get things right?

Thanks very much
Rainer

/etc/raidtab
The devicenames are aliases from scsidev
so do not wonder. sw0, sw1 represent
the fc-switches by which the raid devices are
connected to the host. There is one path over sw0
to a disk and another over sw1 to the same disk.
raiddev /dev/md5
raid-level multipath
nr-raid-disks 1
nr-spare-disks 1
chunk-size 4
device /dev/scsi/sw0d0l0-p1
raid-disk 0
device /dev/scsi/sw1d0l0-p1
spare-disk 1

raiddev /dev/md6
raid-level multipath
nr-raid-disks 1
nr-spare-disks 1
chunk-size 4
device /dev/scsi/sw0d1l0-p1
raid-disk 0
device /dev/scsi/sw1d1l0-p1
spare-disk 1

raiddev /dev/md7
raid-level 1
nr-raid-disks 2
nr-spare-disks 0
chunk-size 4
persistent-superblock 1
device /dev/md5
raid-disk 0
device /dev/md6
raid-disk 1

Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke@uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html