Re: gcc 2.95 vs 3.21 performance

From: Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 07:25:36 EST

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:13:31PM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> > I'm afraid it's code generation engine. It is just worse than
> > M$ or Intel's one. It is not easily fixable,
> > GCC folks have tremendous task at hand.
> >
> > I wonder whether some big companies supposedly supporting
> > Linux (e.g. Intel) can help GCC team (for example by giving
> > away some code and/or developer time).
>
> Comparing Intel's compiler vs GCC on Linux would be more interesting.
> Anyone got a copy and some time to burn?

There are already people who have done this, e.g.

  http://www.coyotegulch.com/reviews/intel_comp/intel_gcc_bench2.html

compares g++ and Intel's C++ compiler with C++ code.

> M.

cu
Adrian

--

"Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. "Only a promise," Lao Er said. Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed