[BUG] vmalloc, kmalloc - 2.4.x

From: Grzegorz Jaskiewicz (gj@pointblue.com.pl)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 10:13:42 EST

few days ago i started to port driver for our hardware in company from
windows to linux. It is simple ISA card, which gives me interrupt each
8ms. So i can check it state and latch some sort of watchdog on it -
saying that i am still running (just for security, if system hangs card
is blocking all inputs/outputs).

But anyway, i was collecting all data from the card in dynamically
allocated memory. This gives me at least 300 * 20 bytes allocated. i
have sigle small allocation running on each interrupt.

Driver is working fine under win2k even if i collect as much as 10000
allocations, afterwards system uses loads of processor.

Linux (2.4.19 ,2.4.20, 2.4.21-pre[1,2,3,4] i tried so far) gives me oups
arount 80th allocation.

>From http://hit-six.co.uk/~gj/testmod.tar.bz2 you can download simple
module that shows what happends. But be carefull, it oupses very fast !

system is running up2dated Debian(stable), and i am using gcc version:
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002

--
Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj@pointblue.com.pl>
K4 Labs