Re: Defect (Bug) Report

From: Erik Mouw (J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 07:49:11 EST

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 09:42:41AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Any other suggestions, or recommendations to get more info?
>
> Three starting points
>
> 1. Run memtest86 on the box for a bit. I don't think its bad RAM however
> 2. Plug in a PS/2 mouse if the box doesn't have one already. That avoids
> a hardware flaw on the AMD that we don't current work around in software
> 3. Check if 2.4.20 behaves the same way. I think it may fix your short
> pauses but I don't think its going to fix the hang alas. It would be
> useful to know however

What's the current wisdom with dual Athlon boards to get them stable?
This is my list so far (for Asus A7M266-D):

- Plug in a PS/2 mouse even though you don't use it. It fixes certain
  hardware problems.
- Select "PnP OS = no" in the BIOS so all PCI devices (even the ones
  behind the PCI-PCI bridge) get properly initialised.
- Boot Linux with "noapic" to avoid random hangs.

Exact BIOS revision doesn't seem to matter. Any more suggestions?

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw
Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl  mouw@nl.linux.org