Re: Re: Perl in the toolchain

From: Konrad Eisele (eiselekd@web.de)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 08:00:55 EST

Kai Germaschewski <kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> schrieb am 31.01.03 20:41:39:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>
> > Kai, what's your opinion? I suspect you missed my posing to l-k
>
> > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:53:59 +0100
> > From: Konrad Eisele <eiselekd@web.de>
> > To: "PeteZaitcev" <zaitcev@redhat.com>
> > Subject: Adding sparc-leon linux to sourcetree

> > There is also one change I have made on the buildsystem. Because I'm using some
> > perl inline scripts in the $cmd_xxx the >'< and >$< signs in the inline perl scripts
> > cause trouble (perl -e '...$x=....'), the >'< because of the echo command, the >$< when
> > rereading from the xxx..cmd files. Could this be applied to the original file?
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot find the original posting quoted above, since
> that would probably reveal where the actual usage of perl is.

I wanted to use perl inline script in a post build command to check weather the kernel
fits in rom for a port of Linux to the sparc Leon Processor. Which requires nested
if then clauses.
First, I could also call an external script but that would require a new file, so inline script
is nicer. Second, I could do the checking with shell if then clauses and expressions
without $ or ', but perl is much nicer to read. Especially if you have hex conversion
and large calculations.