Re: [patch] sched-2.5.59-A2

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 12:10:50 EST

> or as Arjan points out, like the IBM x440 boxes ...

;-)

> i think we want to handle SMT on a different level, ie. via the
> shared-runqueue approach, so it's not a genuine new level of caching, it's
> rather a new concept of multiple logical cores per physical core. (which
> needs is own code in the scheduler.)

Do you have that code working already (presumably needs locking changes)?
I seem to recall something like that existing already, but I don't recall
if it was ever fully working or not ...

I think the large PPC64 boxes have multilevel NUMA as well - two real
phys cores on one die, sharing some cache (L2 but not L1? Anton?).
And SGI have multilevel nodes too I think ... so we'll still need
multilevel NUMA at some point ... but maybe not right now.

M.