Re: Is the BitKeeper network protocol documented?

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 20:05:02 EST

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 19:36:12 -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

>Moral: Let's not get silly here...

        Don't blame me. The GPL just says the "preferred" form and leaves us
to wonder. As I understand it, however, you cannot ship binaries of a
GPL'd project unless you can distribute the source code in the
"preferred form .. for making modifications to it".

        I'm still perplexed what you do if the preferred modification form
for a work requires consent to a license more restrictive than the
GPL in order to make modifications to it. As I see it, you just can't
GPL such a project.

        And you can't take a GPL'd work and turn it into a non-GPL'd work
and continue to distribute binaries.

        DS