i2c and sensors for 2.4/2.5

From: Kyösti Mälkki (kmalkki@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 12:12:43 EST

Finally, i2c CVS is synced with 2.5.58 tree.

I believe we are ready to submit patches to both 2.4 and 2.5 trees
in a week or so. In the mean time, please hold any non-critical i2c
patches. Most of the 2.4 cleanup done in CVS already applies these.
And some of the header file cleanups applied in 2.5.53+ evidently
break i2c-proc and userland compiles for /dev/i2c-x ...

You can checkout i2c with "-r lk2-4" to get i2c code for 2.4 tree.
Attached is non-CVS i2c code ported back from 2.5 to 2.4.21-pre3
for the impatient, to use .owner refcounting.

As for lm_sensors, CVS head will work for both 2.5 and 2.4 after i2c
patches. Currently CVS compiles but all of PCI probing takes time to
convert. Post to LKML with a list of i2c busses you volunteer to fix.

Also, assistance on how to fix module refcounting is welcome.
To my understanding, it does not handle client->adapter->owner
correctly now, and it is possible to rmmod adapter while one of its
clients is in use.

HTH.

--
  Kyösti Mälkki