Re: 2.5.59 vmlinux.lds.S change broke modules

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@tp1.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 09:44:22 EST

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

> What happens is that __find_symbol() oopses because the kernel's
> symbol table is in la-la land. (Note the bogus kernel adress
> 2220c021 it tried to dereference above.)
>
> Reverting 2.5.59's patch to arch/i386/vmlinux.lds.S cured the
> problem and modules now load correctly for me.

That's interesting. It doesn't happen for me, but I'm using older
binutils. The patch really only changes two things (except for ARM):
o whitespace
o It adds AT(ADDR(section) - 0)

Both of these should be NOPs, but apparently not. Could you try removing
the AT(...) from include/asm-generic/vmlinux.lds.h?

Also, what does
        objdump -h vmlinux
and
        grep __start_ System.map