Re: Changing argv[0] under Linux.

From: DervishD (raul@pleyades.net)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 07:58:43 EST

    Hi Jon :)

> It is easy to do a mount() system call, the rootfs can be ro.

    Yes, but you still need a mountpoint. Lot of worries for
something as trivial and useless as changing the ps identity ;))

> > What if /proc/self/exe is not part form procfs,
> > but from some evil user ;))
> Would the user not need root privilegdes to mess with /proc?

    /proc/self/exe doesn't need to be in procfs... If proc is not
mounted... Anyway it was just an example. The degree of evil-user
intrusion in a machine for doing something like that is quite high.
There are simpler ways of attacking a machine if you can forge
/proc/self/exe :))

> Is there any good reason why init should not be executable
> by root only?

    My init refuses to run if not called by the superuser ;) because
I think the same as you and anyway my init doesn't need a shutdown
command, it works with a keycombo that root controls.

    Raśl