Re: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer kernel 2.4.21-pre3-ac4

From: Tupshin Harper (tupshin@tupshin.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 03:53:49 EST

Bertrand VIEILLE [Bébert] wrote:

>Hello !!
>
>I have the same problem with -ac tree.
>
>Alan Cox said he suspected several things to induce this oops:
>
>* Guess #1 is reverting mm/shmem.c.
>* Guess #2 is reverting the buffer cache changes.
>* Guess #3 is new IDE + highmem

no highmem enabled here.

>* Guess #4 is quota related (are people seeing the problem with quota
>disabled ?)

I do have quota enabled, so I'll try it without just to double check
your results.

>Personnally, I answered him, I dont'have quota enabled, so Guess #4 doesn't
>exist anymore.

It's looking like shmem or buffer cache.

The call trace that I posted certainly looks more like the buffer cache,
but obviously doesn't eliminate shmem as the culprit. Is there an easy
way to back out one or the other of these changes? I'm happy to do some
testing.

-Tupshin