Re: argv0 revisited...

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 14:46:38 EST

In article <20030115191942.GD47@DervishD>,
DervishD <raul@pleyades.net> wrote:
>> > of init. Remember, is not any program, is an init. Should be a more
>> > clean way, I suppose :??
>> I don't think is that big a deal ... if you startup the system normally,
>> sooner or later, /proc is going to be mounted. A [quickie] variation is:
>
> Yes, I know, and that's one option, but I would like to avoid the
>mounting. Not a big deal, anyway, as you say. The only thing is that
>it won't work in kernels without proc enabled (yes, there are people
>without 'proc', size issues, I suppose, etc...).

I assume that init is passed on the kernel command line like
init=/what/ever, right ?

Why not make that INIT=/what/ever, then make this /sbin/init:

main()
{
        execl(getenv("INIT"), getenv("INIT"), "other", "args", NULL);
}

Kernel command line args not reckognized by the kernel get put
into the environment of init ..

Mike.

--
They all laughed when I said I wanted to build a joke-telling machine.
Well, I showed them! Nobody's laughing *now*! -- acesteves@clix.pt