Re: 48GB NUMA-Q boots, with major IO-APIC hassles

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 10:34:53 EST

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:24:40AM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> That wasn't the subarch cleanups that removed it, please be careful
> what you're saying. I plead not guilty to that one.

Eh? You aren't doing all of them. I think we both know who did this
one (with good intentions, even).

At some point in the past, I wrote:
>> (4) PCI bridges get misnumbered children.
>> -- Brew up a PCI hook for giving child buses their bus numbers.
>> -- Basically, fwd port mbligh's fix for 2.4.x more cleanly.
>> -- Okay, not IO-APIC-related, but it annoys me greatly.
>> -- ink is at least trying to steer me in the right direction here.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:24:40AM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> Additional PCI-PCI bridges (eg starfire cards) have never been supported
> in non-boot quads. It's not impossible, but don't be suprised if it
> doesn't work.

It should be fine once the bus numbering, io resources, and IO-APIC's
are dealt with. The bus numbering stuff is out there, io resource stuff
is an open question, and IO-APIC stuff looks uglier than sin (as usual).
Basically, a good chunk of rotorooting appears to be necessary to
assign deal with a number of IRQ sources large enough to make
assign_irq_vector() wrap current_vector, possibly something as
invasive as supporting non-unique vectors for irq_desc's.

At some point in the past, I wrote:
>> (5) Booting with notsc panic()'s.
>> -- Remove tsc_disable assignment in the __setup() call.
>> -- I'd be much obliged if the SMP TSC issues were at long
>> -- last conclusively dealt with. Not IO-APIC-related either,
>> -- but also very annoying.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:24:40AM -0800, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
> You don't have PIT support compiled in, and you turned off TSC support,
> leaving yourself with no timer. There's a patch in my tree to force on
> PIT support for NUMA-Q.

Sounds like a conclusive answer to the TSC for me.

Cheers,
Bill